This collection contains five short stories:
1. “Byron“: a CAT ADVENTURE that takes place in the country of Lebanon before 9/11. This story was commissioned by Ed Gorman, premier editor of mystery fiction, and included in his hardcover anthology “Cat Crimes Through Time.” It describes the adventures of a mysterious English lady who shows up in Beirut in 1958 and is searching for her militiaman husband who, Israel’s Mossad thinks, had been kidnapped by a rival group.
2. “The Cheat“: a contemporary YOUNG ADULT story that we see unfolding in a suburb of the French capital. It follows the coming of age of some high school students and their interaction with their devoted teacher. The latter must decide whether to leave their petty problems for a few days of well deserved rest in Spain. The feeling is that of a small foreign film.
3. “The Inquisition“: is the name of a California-style rock club located somewhere in this country. This ROCK’N’ROLL URBAN THRILLER takes place in a club full of groupies, grunge, mosh pits and drugs. It’s a love story between Rayne, at one time the female star singer in the band Pandemonium and Pep, the male singer of the group. Addicted and pregnant, Rayne goes away to get help. As she returns to see if Pep still wants her, she must confront danger in scenes of mad action. Will Rayne and Pep get back together? This is proof that true love may still do well, even in such an environment of drug induced despair.
4. “Death Row Follies“: is a SCI-FI FANTASY that takes place in the near future. The location is an experimental prison headed by a venal warden. In order to make money, he decides to choose a few inmates on their way to execution, but in good enough physical condition to fight for their life, i.e. till one of them snuffs the other one out in front of an audience of wealthy and perverted gamblers. The tale ends with a wild take down between protagonist Josh Adley, and his huge adversary, in a big surprise ending.
5. “The Long Wait“: is a piece of URBAN CRIME FICTION that takes place in a decrepit neighborhood that can be found in many of today’s decaying cities. A former soldier, driving a van filled with valuable cargo, is stuck for mechanical reasons in heavy traffic. Assigned no protection for this job, he is about to be attacked by criminals who are after his merchandise, while the help that he’s called for is slow in coming. He is stuck in the horns of a dilemma: does he stay and fight the uneven odds or does he just run away?
An exquisite paperback edition of this book is available, as well as one that may be read on a Kindle. Readers with access to the Kindle Owners Lending Library may read the work for FREE.